Senior members of Australian, UK and Irish Bars and Judiciary converge in London and Dublin for the 2017 Australian Bar Association Conference.
Australian Barristers, senior members of the UK, Australian and Irish governments and the judiciary will converge in London and Dublin this week to share collective knowledge and prepare for future challenges to global legal systems including issues of national security, Brexit and international treaties.
Australian Bar Association President, Will Alstergren QC said, “Now more than ever, our profession relies on support and collaboration to maintain the Bar’s high standards and to protect the rule of law. With the increasingly global reach and implications our modern societies present, it is fitting that our conference should provide a forum to share experiences, challenges and ideas with leading international figures in the field.”
“Given the increasingly strong international ties the Australian Bar has with Europe and the UK, President of the Supreme Court of the UK, The Right Hon Lord Neuberger, and Deputy President Baroness Hale are significant voices to hear and to learn from at this year’s conference. Lord Neuberger will deliver the conference welcome address, while Baroness Hale will participate in a much-anticipated in-conversation session.”
The theme of the conference ‘Excellence, Innovation and Accessibility’, are subjects that underpin the program and provide an opportunity for delegates to explore and share the many new and great challenges and opportunities for innovation in the legal industry.
The conference will explore issues including freedom of speech and privacy laws, international law and the protection of cultural treasures, new efforts in diversity and an inclusive profession, the implications of Brexit, through to the challenges facing equal and fair access to justice for all.
Among the keynote speakers at the 2017 Australian Bar Association conference are:
- Australia’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, His Excellency, the Honorable Alexander Downer AC.
- Commonwealth Attorney-General, Senator the Hon George Brandis QC.
- The Right Hon Jeremy Wright QC MP, Attorney-General for England and Wales and Advocate General for Northern Ireland
- The Hon Justice Patrick Keane, High Court of Australia.
- Australia’s Ambassador to Ireland, His Excellency Ambassador Richard Andrews
- The Hon Justice Stephen Gageler AC, of the High Court of Australia.
- The Hon Mrs Chief Justice Susan Denham, the Chief Justice of Ireland
“Over the next week, we will hear from some of the greatest minds from the global legal profession as they share their insights, experiences and thought-provoking ideas on how to can tackle current legal challenges and modernise our justice systems to ensure efficient, equal and fair access to all,” said Will Alstergren QC
The ABA 2017 Conference runs from Monday 3 – Friday 7 July and further information program details are available at www.abaconference2017.com.au
Notes to Editors
- Further information available from ABA Media Manager email@example.com
- The Australian Bar Association represents approx. 6000 barristers throughout Australia and is committed to serving, promoting, and representing its members, as well as advocating for fair and equal justice for all.